Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 28

All my life I have wanted to find a guy who just completely "gets" me.  I know, I know... I'm sure that is the same for many girls out there who grew up dreaming of Prince Charming, and I am no different.  I bought into the lie for awhile that I needed that perfect guy to validate me and to make me feel loved.  I've dated around a little bit, and while each of these encounters had some good experiences, they all completely fell dramatically far below my dream.

I had prayed more about this area of my life than any other, and yet it seemed as if God was ignoring my plea.  I can't count the number of times that people said "Just stop looking for that person and you'll meet him!"  If it's been awhile since you have been single, let me remind you that it is one of the most annoying piece's of advice you can give a single girl.  If it were that easy, don't you think I would have done that already?!  Honestly, I was always appreciative of that helpful tip, but I just didn't know how to stop looking.

Finally after the last dating travesty, I had my fill.  I was tired of the emotional warfare that was taking place inside my heart.  I remember thinking that if this is what relationships were truly like, then I didn't want any part of one.  I deserved better, or I deserved nothing.  I was not one of those girls who would be a doormat for some guy.  I was tired of compromising what I truly wanted, and yes, I made a list of all those qualities to keep me from compromising.  After a heartfelt time of talking with God and listening, I presented him the list of my requests and asked that he would either a) bless me with a Godly man or b) make me completely content  in Him, that I wouldn't feel like I was missing out if God chose for me to be solely His forever.  And finally, I became content with God.  Not content in an "I'm settling so I'd better get used to this way", but in a completely confident manner that my God was going to take care of me regardless.  

Shortly thereafter, I "met" Alex.  I had signed up for a free-communication weekend on eHarmony (mainly because I was bored one day and thought "Hey, why not?").  I wasn't expecting anything would come of it, and I knew that I would be perfectly happy if nothing did.  And suddenly, some guy (a very cute guy with a fantastic smile) messaged me, and we quickly progressed through eHarmony's process of getting to know someone (which is a lengthy endeavor that really does help match you appropriately!), and he seemed just pretty darn swell!  The rest, they say, is history.

That all being said, today I am TRULY thankful for Alex Grayson.  He is such a wonderful, Godly man that the Lord has blessed me with.  Remember that list that I had made?  He not only meets each and every criteria on it, but he goes way beyond the bare essentials.  For example, I wanted someone who would worship God with me through music.  Well, not only can he sing, but he can play like 1,654 different instruments AND has the patience to teach me (which is quite a feat, I assure you).  And that's only one example!  

He is my perfect compliment.  When I am having a crazy emotional female breakdown that he doesn't even understand, he doesn't get mad or irritated that I am a complete wreck.  He talks me through it, supports me, and makes me laugh.  When I take on a crazy challenge that even I doubt myself in (like running a mini-marathon) he encourages me and is my own personal cheerleader!  When I have a question or want to discuss something in the bible or about God, he always provides me with fresh insight and a challenge to dig deeper into the Word and keep learning.  Plus, he totally looked at ALL of my Facebook pictures when we were first getting to know each other, saw what a weirdo I am, and STILL liked me.  Now that's saying something!

In the past few weeks, I've been reminded of some of those times when I was interested in someone or dating someone and all of the drama that went along with it.  The confusion, the disappointment, the heart shattering feelings are just fading memories now.  I can honestly say that I know I won't be experiencing those again, and what a great feeling that is!


Thank you, Lord, for hand picking this wonderful, funny, loving, spectacular, hunky, Godly man for me!  And thank you for allowing me to experience all those disappointing relationships so that I can truly appreciate the one you have graced me with.







No comments: